Sunday, April 1, 2018

life & death

Over the last few weeks, the topic of life & death has been in high volume. As a nurse- I see lots of death & have become what some might say as ‘quite numb or callused’ to it.
To my own defense- I disagree.
My view of death & life has been greatly changed over the last few years as my experiences all over the world have opened my eyes. For so long, as many parts of my life & within my mind, death & life were compartmentalized. The nice neat boxes I kept them in on the high shelf of the filing cabinet of my mind, were all at once picked up, unwrapped, & opened wide. The walls of the boxes were torn down exposing the hidden secrets inside. The secrets God wanted me to know, to experience.
Death in my own family & death from strangers I took care of became the practice ground of the knowledge He was feeding me.
Death is a part of life, just as much as birth-- the only permanent thing of this world besides tattoos- only because they still stick with you after death- they just look different as skin ages & melts away in yet another box 6 feet under.
Death was not something I feared, but something I saw others fear.
I saw death in a different light in Nigeria. It seemed to be fully embraced by all. A family member got sick- went to the hospital- poor prognosis, they gathered the family around, spent time together, words together, last memories shared & they died. It was seen as a part of life.
How different it is in America. Fear is coupled with the word death.
But why?
What about death are we afraid of… all that will be missed, all that wasn’t done, all that wasn’t said, or is it what lies after. Do we just stop existing or is there more—hell, heaven, eternity in one of the two.
Do you know where you will go?
Are 100% sure?

This is what makes life so wonderful- security of knowing eternity is yet to come. For me- eternity with Jesus far outweighs that of this life on Earth. But for most- 100% assurance is not coupled with death or eternity.

As I looked into his face, as he shook uncontrollably with Parkinson’s & dementia,  between gulps of thickened water he gasps for air, I saw life.
I also saw death coming & as ease of someone who had no clue it was wuickly approaching. As he talked about doing his grandma’s dishes, letting the youngster at the door crawl into bed with him so he could sleep, & pulling the blanket up to his mouth to chew on… this man was none the wiser.
Ninety-six years of life lay in bed before me with nothing but smiles & stories. Hating hearing the sound of his audible junky lungs filling up with fluid, I wanted his stories to continue, but fought with the notion that peace is coming with his last breaths around the bend.
I thought for a moment- “how did I get this privilege to do this? to see people of all ages & walks of life exit this world & begin eternity? to be present with someone, caring for them in their last moments.”

I thought of the conversation my girlfriends & I have been having the last few days about this very thing…
Death being certain, time being uncertain, & what do we do?
His eyes stare back at me as he offers some of his thickened water to me, & my eyes fill with tears. I wished I knew what he did, where he lived, how many children, what he had seen & heard & done. Did he love Jesus?
He didn’t even realize it was Easter until I told him, & he smiled. Maybe a flash of what Easter meant flew through his mind & heart. I wonder how he celebrated Easter all these years.
As the rambling of stories & nonsense phrases came out- I rubbed his arm & held his hand. This precious trembling hand—he sunk back in his bed & relaxed.
I thought of Jesus praying in the garden hours before his arrest. All he asked His disciples to do was stay up & pray with Him.
Wait up with Him as He anguished over His last moments before death.
It hit hard as I swallowed the lump in my throat.
Wait up with him…


1 comment:

  1. I'm 55-year-old from paris, I was diagnosed with second-stage liver cancer following a scheduled examination to monitor liver cirrhosis. I had lost a lot of weight. A CT scan revealed three tumors; one in the center of my liver in damaged tissue and two in healthy portions of my liver. No chemotherapy or radiotherapy treatment was prescribed due to my age, the number of liver tumors. One month following my diagnosis I began taking 12 (350 point) Salvestrol supplements per day, commensurate with my body weight. This comprised six Salvestrol Shield (350 point) capsules and six Salvestrol Gold (350 point) capsules, spread through the day by taking two of each capsule after each main meal. This level of Salvestrol supplementation (4,000 points per day) was maintained for four months. In addition, I began a program of breathing exercises, chi exercises, meditation, stretching and stress avoidance. Due to the variety of conditions that I suffered from, I received ongoing medical examinations. Eleven months after commencing Salvestrol supplementation But all invalid so I keep searching for a herbal cure online that how I came across a testimony appreciating Dr Itua on how he cured her HIV/Herpes, I contacted him through email he listed above, Dr Itua sent me his herbal medicine for cancer to drink for two weeks to cure I paid him for the delivering then I received my herbal medicine and drank it for two weeks and I was cured until now I'm all clear of cancer, I will advise you to contact Dr Itua Herbal Center On Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. WhatsApps Number...+2348149277967. If you are suffering from Diseases listed below, Cancer, HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Bladder cancer,Brain cancer,Colon-Rectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Prostate Cancer,
    ?Esophageal cancer,?Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,?Hodgkin lymphoma
    ?Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,?Multiple myeloma,?Neuroendocrine tumors,Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,?Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,?Sinus cancer,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,?Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,?Vulvar cancer,Hepatitis, Chronic Illness. Lupus,Fibromyalgia.

    ReplyDelete